Skip to main content

‘Swept off my wheels’

Shedding tears of joy, dear karikna, is a most pleasant human experience. Last week, I and a hundred thousand more souls were fortunate to enjoy that moment upon reading a moving speech by a wheelchair-bound young lady whose strong resolve is matched only by her enormous compassion for others. 

Gone viral in the Internet, the speech was delivered by Jo Erika F. Marquez during their college recognition program at Mariano Marcos State University. She graduated, magna cum laude, with a degree in management accounting last April 3, ranking first among all her batch mates in the Batac campus.

During the summer after her second year in high school, she was paralyzed from the waist down after a doctor performed surgery on her scoliosis. The doctor’s remiss, it is suspected, caused the disability.
Read on and be inspired.
***
“Baka marigatan isuna ken baka haan a makabayag, ngem padasenyo latta kasi awan met ketdi mapukaw.” (It might be difficult for her and she might not be able to endure college, but just try because there is really nothing to lose.)


These were the words spoken to me by the attending physician at the time I came to MMSU for my physical check-up as part of the process that incoming students had to go through. Basing her opinion on the experience of another student who had the same physical limitations, the good doctor could not be blamed. Despite this not-so-welcoming statement, I decided to push through college in this university 29.8 km. and 36 min. away from home. Indeed, she was right. The road had not been smooth at all. There were more than a few bumps and detours along the way.

After a long while, I had to be accustomed again to commuting everyday together with my new indispensable partner: my wheelchair. Particularly in the first two years of college, I had to roll from one building to another and around our sprawling campus to attend my classes. For almost eight hours straight, I had to endure long and mind-boggling lectures and discussions, but what posed the toughest challenge of all was facing the crowd once again and making them see someone beyond the “girl on wheels”. I thought that was the goal. And I thought I succeeded on my goal when I received praises such as “You’re an inspiration,” “Naglaingka, ate” (You’re very bright.), “Ikaw na, ate”, “Adik lang sa score, ate” and the like became a familiar sound.

However, as I had the chance to listen to my classmates’ stories and as I got to know them better, it turned out I was wrong. Suddenly, my disability became too insignificant for concern when set up against the myriads of problem held by the world. On my journey towards this day, I have witnessed my classmates’ frustrations after a failed exam yet they managed to keep their optimism. I have seen my classmates grieve over the loss of a loved one yet they remained strong and moved on with life. I have learned from my classmates who had barely enough for lunch or snacks yet still found a way to meet their academic requirements. I have met classmates who, like me, also had their own health issues yet they persisted to accomplish activities that pushed their stamina to the limit. These made me realize how much greater inspiration they are.

While I sat comfortably as friends volunteered to gently push me from one building to another, my classmates had to walk their way under the scorching heat of the sun. While my home is situated 29.8 km. and 36 min. away, some of my classmates come from provinces hundreds of kilometers farther, and struggled to beat homesickness. While my disability was able to earn instant compassion, many student had theirs hidden. They, too, suffered in silence, seeking for someone who will listen and understand. Disability, ladies and gentlemen, comes in many forms, but, at the end of the day, it is how we rise above them that really matters.

Thus, to my fellow graduates—with Latin honors or none—for choosing to take the challenge, for deciding to continue despite bleak circumstances, for making your dreams bigger than your excuses and for rising triumphantly against all odds, thank you for the inspiration, and congratulations! But of course, this day is not ours alone to claim. We share this success with our Heavenly Father as our ultimate source of hope and strength; with our mentors and instructors who generously equipped us with competent knowledge and skills, and right values; with families, parents and guardians who selflessly showered us with appreciation, encouragement, and material support; with friends and special ones who lit up our college days even brighter.

Gratitude also goes to Manong Tricycle and Manong E-jeep who helped us get to our destinations on time; with Manong Xerox who patiently catered to our demands; with Manang Banana Cue who stuffed us with delicious kakanin when we were busy cramming for requirements; and with all the persons who had somehow played a part in making our graduation from the university possible. On behalf of MMSU Class 2014, Dios unay ti agngina, apo!

Now that our college life is about to end, I share your sentiments as to what awaits after. But just like what I told myself after I’ve had enough of worrying, beat it! Let’s focus and be happy for today, taking things one step at a time. From now on, let’s stop asking “what ifs” and start answering the “what nows”.

Life always finds a unique way of unveiling surprises and when it does, you’ll just have to accept it and be prepared to glide, dance, and be completely swept off your feet, or, in my case, be completely swept off my wheels.


Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Empanada festival: A celebration of good taste and good life

By Dominic B. dela Cruz & Leilanie G. Adriano Staff reporters BATAC CITY—If there is one thing Batac is truly proud of, it would be its famous empanada-making business that has nurtured its people over the years. Embracing a century-old culture and culinary tradition, Batac’s empanada claims to be the best and tastiest in the country with its distinctive Ilokano taste courtesy of its local ingredients: fresh grated papaya, mongo, chopped longganisa, and egg. The crispy orange wrapper and is made of rice flour that is deep-fried. The celebration of this city’s famous traditional fast food attracting locals and tourists elsewhere comes with the City Charter Day of Batac every 23 rd  of June. Every year, the City Government of Batac led by Mayor Jeffrey Jubal Nalupta commemorate the city’s charter day celebration to further promote its famous One-Town, One Product, the Batac empanada. Empanada City The Batac empanada festival has already become an annua

PGIN honors Ilocano heroes of past, present through Heroes Walk

SPO1 Allan Lampitoc Franco of Banna, Ilocos Norte and PO2 Jovalyn D. Lozano of Adams, Ilocos Norte receive a resolution of commendation, a certificate of college scholarship grant to their family members and a P20,000 cash incentive each from the Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte represented by Governor Imee R. Marcos and Vice Governor Angelo M. Barba in recognition of their bravery and heroic acts in the Mamasapano clash in Maguindanao on January 25. Mr. Franco and Mr. Lozano were recognized on March 10 in time for the unveiling of the second batch of Ilocano heroes at the Heroes Walk located along the Sirib Mile in Laoag City.  (Lei Adriano) By Jennifer T. Pambid PGIN-CMO In honor of the heroes who brought freedom, fame and glory to the province as well as to the country in the past century, the Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte (PGIN) through the Education Department and Sirib Youth Office launched the second batch of Ilocano Heroes Walk on March 10, 2015.

Pagudpud’s tourism transformer passes away

By Leilanie G. Adriano Staff reporter LAOAG CITY—Retired Philippine Air Force Col. Ricardo Nolasco Jr., owner of Hannah’s Beach Resort and Convention Center in Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte passed away on Wednesday evening, July 11, 2018. He was 67. “He did not survive an open-heart surgery,” said Ronald Dominguez, spokesperson of the largest resort at Brgy. Balaoi in Pagudpud. Known as the architect behind the transformation of Pagudpud town as a premiere destination of the north, Mr. Nolasco put up Hannah’s Beach Resort in what was originally meant as a family vacation resort. The rest is history when it expanded into more than 300-room executive villas and cabanas, with on-going infrastructure developments and set up various amenities. As a result, hundreds of domestic and foreign tourists visit here daily. The resort is on a cliff by the beach, which provides a spectacular view of the sparkling blue lagoon. “Yesterday will go down my lifeline as one